After, over 15 years, as a Real Estate Licensed Salesperson, in the State of New York, I have often, witnessed, potential home buyers, who, permit their emotions, to control, their house purchases, rather than, proceeding, with an alignment, between their emotional and logical components, in a head/ heart balance! Since, for most, the value of their home, represents, their single – biggest, financial asset, wouldn’t it make sense, for every, prospective, homeowner, to carefully, review, and inspect, as many factors, as possible, before making such a significant commitment, etc? With, that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, 5 major areas, which, I strongly recommend, are carefully, inspected, considered, and reviewed, before making a final decision.
1. Roof/ windows, etc: In many states, a condition, of a sale, is, merely, having a roof, which does not leak! However, since most roofs, are rated, for a specific, useful period/ life, usually, between 20, and 40 years. Obviously, the longer – period, is considered, the highest quality one! When, was it installed, and, how many layers, of roofing, are, on the existing one? Is it, leak – free, or does it need repair, or replacement, in the near future? Are the existing windows, original, or replacement ones, and, if, the latter, when were they replaced, and with what type of windows? Are they leak, and draft – free, single, or double – pane, what material, and manufacturer, and what about the quality of the installation? These must be closely inspected, and considered!
2. HVAC (Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning, etc): What fuel is used, and what condition, is the existing heating system? How about air quality/ ventilation? Are there any odors, etc, which are noticeable? If, there is an air conditioning system, what type is it, how energy – efficient, quiet, well – filtered, and, when was it installed, and is it efficient, and effective? Since, replacing these type of components, are usually, significant expenses, and expensive, doesn’t that make sense?
3. Basement: Don’t make the mistake of ignoring the basement! A thorough examination of it, often, will provide significant information, including: air quality – related issues; previous water damage; structural factors; etc.
4. Plumbing and electrical: Have all plumbing and electrical component, thoroughly examined/ inspected! Always, flush every toilet, run every faucet, check outside water lines, etc. Check for leaks, water pressure – issues, etc! Besides, checking every outlet, light fixture, and other wiring, have the electrical box, inspected, for its integrity, safety, and efficiency/ effectiveness!
5. Exterior factors/ land – pitch/ drainage, etc: Check, both, all exterior factors, related to the building/ house, as well as the rest of the property, itself! Don’t ignore the pitch of the land, ensuring, it pitches, away from the house, and, have all areas, which might affect drainage, etc, looked – at, closely, and in – depth!
Since, most people, lack the expertise, to thoroughly, effectively, review, and examine, these essential, important factors/ issues, a wise, potential homeowner, should proceed, with the knowledge, he needs to know about these, and hire a professional home inspector/ engineer! Proceed, as a wise, home buyer